Monday, October 10, 2011

Android Drawable XML Talk

I recently gave a talk on the basics of Android drawable resources (via XML).

There's a recording I made of the talk - not super, but functional. I had to split it into two parts because of time restrictions on YouTube. Here's part one and part two.

I also have a few links that may be useful (whether you watch the talk or not):

- The slides for the presentation

- Official Android drawable resource documentation

- My drawable XML documentation

- The github project with my samples

3 comments:

  1. Very great talk!

    I made a similar talk last year at Android Developer Labs Paris as well as Droidcon UK London (http://android.cyrilmottier.com/medias/listview_tips_and_tricks/3/mastering_drawables.pdf). Drawables are a very powerful feature of the Android framework. Unfortunately they are way under-used. Describing them in such a talk is a perfect way to evangelize developers.

    Congratulations ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, Is there a was to specify Text (and then the text position and attributes) in the 'R.drawable.mydrawable' xml files? Sure you can use the drawable for a button background and put text on the button. But can you have text in the XML drawable, like you can have shapes like oval and rectangle.

    By the way, I found that I can set the drawable size like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to specify the text inside of a drawable.

      Delete